Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Trying Out

Tabitha stepped so far out of her box this last week and a bit that I was shocked. She tried out for the Cheer leading Team. I mean WOW. Anyone who knows her knows that she'd rather have her nose in a book then doing something active. This is not just smiling pretty either. She worked really hard - 3, 2 hour tryouts. Last night was the results - she got in the car "I didn't make it" my heart sank. This whole thing felt like a defining moment. Like if she had this opportunity she might have changed her path in life. Don't get me wrong. I like the path she's on. And she tries to choose her path carefully. I just thought this would give her a very different experience. She said she didn't think she was going to make it, but she kind of hoped...

Luckily she's not put off. She also wants to try for basketball & badminton. We'll see. She didn't play on those teams in middle school so its hard to say if her skill level will be there. **sigh**. She has guts. I never tried this stuff. Just wasn't encouraged to do anything remotely physical. I don't want her to get discouraged. I get so scared for her. I know kids have to suffer disappointments in life (just like the rest of us) to know what the good times are. I just want her to be happy. I think I took it harder then she did...

When was the last time I stepped that far out of my box? You???

2 Comments:

Blogger Just a thought said...

I think you've already figured this one out, perhaps it only takes a song to put it into perspective: "I get knocked down but I get up again". That's a kid for you. They let go and move on; we on the other hand hang on and reflect, reflect, reflect. She has her own path to walk, and I know she will make good choices and have disappointments just like the rest of us. Like Boo said the other night, "do you want me to live in a bubble?" Hmm no I think not. We should just be a bit more like Miss Frizzle don't you think..."get out there, get dirty and make mistakes!"
Just a thought...

8:56 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Yah, you are right!! I'm starting to take my own disappointments in stride, but the kids?? I want so much for them...

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home