Friday, April 28, 2006

Got me thinking

I was discussing Y's bullying problem the other day with my co-worker - lets call her Susie. I was telling Susie how in grade 3 at a new school I had to be told what giving someone the finger meant... how swearing mortified me to the point of tears and how I cried in utter frustration when people took God's name in vain and I would yell at them - you can't DO that. Susie's response was (and I laughed) "oh God, you were so sweet", don't think she saw the irony...

Was I sheltered? Yes... Was I niave? Yes... Have I changed? Yes... Is that good or bad??? don't know...

E asked me the other day for some uncensored versions of 50 cent songs - I looked up the lyrics NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I had no idea how bad they were. I was so torn. How do I justify the secular music we listen to and then censor what she can listen to? I think I'm my own bad influence. I asked her if she thought she'd be more prone to swear listening to those types of lyrics - response "well, I think if it was going to corrupt me, it would have happened already" **sigh** at this point of 13 going on 30 I guess I have to let her make some of her own decisions and guide her when she'll let me and/or step in when necessary and make the decisions for her.

This was supposed to be a funny post about silly young me - like I said, got me thinking...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

It's so hard to know what the "right" thing is to do. You've raised some tough and smart girls. They look to you for guidance and you won't steer them wrong.

I had to laugh when I read your co-workers response. HA! Too funny!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Huma said...

no right answer..

jst seems that you can only provide a child with the basic tools to make their own decisions... difference today seems the choices are forced on them.

Good luck.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home