Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Turning the other cheek

That was me. As a kid, that's what I did. If I was bullied, I let it happen, for the most part, I walked away. Now as a mother, I find that the hardest advice to give my daughter. Don't get me wrong. Is still give it, and try and coach words that will help difuse and are diplomatic instead of the ol' eye for an eye - BUT IT IS HARD. My youngest was in tears telling me about a girl who has made a habit of bullying her - for the most part this happens on the bus ride to & from school. The ride for my daughter is less than 5 minutes each way, but these are the minutes that are defining her day. What is wrong with this kid - another 11 year old... up until the last 4 weeks or so the 9 girls in this small 4/5 split have been great friends, now, suddenly there are power struggles all over the place. Hormones I tell you. Today my daughter stood up to her and said "quit bullying me and pick on somone else" response was, "I'm not bullying, I'm talking" cheeky little thing - thwarting my daughters every attempt at an amiable solution. Not that she actually wanted her to pick on somone else, just that she should stop being a little bbbbb brat... Where does this bully get off telling my kid she doesn't deserve a seat because the ride is so short, or that she can't sit with her friends. I asked if I or the dadman should walk her to the bus and maybe get on for a ride NO WAY, of course that would make matters worse. I know that, but the urge is to get on and stare this little girl in the eye and talk (and or knock) some sense into her. Little girls can be so mean! I spoke to the principal under strict instructions not to reveal who the bully is - I didn't have to say anything, she already knew... there are other parents calling. So they will try and fix it with the guidance counsellor without my kids name being brought up - maybe a group meeting with just the girls addressing bullying in general. It better work, I WILL NOT allow my kid become a door mat or a target for this type of kid.

A part of me is thinking maybe Y will come home and say, well mom I lost it, I freaked on her, she's never going to bug me again. The other part says chill, this is all part of growing pains and we will work through it calmly and diplomatically.

I guess we'll see - what's that poem??? I want to be a bear...

I want to be a bear,
your legs are supposed to be hairy
you eat all summer
and sleep all winter
when your cubs act up you cuff them
when another cub mess's with your cub
you cuff them too
I want to be a bear

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Argh!! That burns my butt!!
You're doing the right thing. Keep on the principal and get updates on how things are going. Let them know that you won't tolerate bullying, and neither should they.
It's really sick how kids can treat each other. They can be so loving, and so cruel.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Well yesterday the guidance counsellor took them all in and talked about bullying, asked them each to define it in their own words (good idea). Today Y & bully are apparently friends. Oh how those love/hate relationships drive me BANANAS. Onto tomorrow where they will all be at a birthday party... that will have me driving home at 5 to get her before supper at mom & dad's... I asked what would happen if she didn't go - "oh mom, then I'd be more of a reject then I am right now" that of course was said the other day in the heat of the moment...

JAT - I think I will look up the book you suggest...

Thanks ladies, somedays I just hold my breath and wait...

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home