Thursday, July 17, 2008

A lovely bike ride

So last night DH and I went for a bike ride. I normally don't exercise after supper, cause, well, I'm terrified of this little thing called "food associated exercise induced anaphylaxis" to which I am prone. Yes, there it is. If I'm going to exercise in the evening I ensure that I eat WELL before my allotted exercise time. But, DH was going to go for a run, he says why don't you come on your bike? Then friend Paul phones crying - help, help my lawnmower is broken. DH to the rescue. He figures he can run to Paul's, its only about 11km then I can come get him in the car after a bit. I thought PERFECT I'll read my book with nobody home!! Not so. DH then decides I could still ride my bike with him and he'll get Paul to drive him home (by this time I'm thinking - ok, not so bad, I don't have to get my heart rate up if DH is just running), AND THEN, the light bulb goes on and DH decides we'll both ride. Ok, so the panic fills me, but I get my gear on, mentally working out how long its been since I ate, did I eat anything remotely bad for me, should I take a Benadryl just to be on the safe side (but no, for on Monday I'm going for some more allergy tests, must be anti-histamine free for 5 days). So I strap on my epi-pen and away we go.

Obviously I made it there AND back. Not for lack of trying to induce the reaction just by STRESS!! It was quite nice to do something energetic in the evening without messing with my supper hour.

2 interesting things happened on our way to Paul's: 1 - I nearly flipped (no not me) at dh - a kill-deer (bird) was on our little trail and dh is racing up behind it expecting it to fly away, the poor thing was a baby!! It was running for all it was worth and then bailed into the tall grass IT COULDN'T FLY YET!!! 2 - we came up a street in Charleswood that I didn't even recognize but it happened to be the street where an Sr. couple from our church lived. Not just any ol' seniors but the parents of the girl who was our Maid of Honour and my best friend for a long time (hmmm. we don't speak anymore, post for another day.). So I let dh go on ahead and I visited for a bit. What a hoot. Mr. & Mrs. Klassen were thrilled to have me, cut a rose from their garden for my helmet and promised me a jar of pickled watermelon as soon as its cured. Haven't had that since long before Oma got Alzheimer's. Ummm. can't wait!

Just for those who care - Paul's lawnmower is most assuredly broken. Good thing dh was able to confirm! LOL

The interesting thing on the way back was DH looks behind him (where I am following oh so closely) and says "are you drafting me????" I do believe he was surprised (and undoubtedly impressed) - I don't watch Tour de France just for the spandex!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

LOL You crack me up! Once a drafter, always a drafter.
Let me know how the testing on Monday goes...

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home