Wednesday, June 25, 2008

AGH!

I like to think I am a kind and trusting person. Having said that I know that I have become a lot more jaded and cynical over the years. Wasn't born yesterday after all (don't laugh). Our City has had so many reported instances of a new breed of scam artist. Seemingly distraught people on their way to the hospital, only to find they've run out of gas, left their wallet at home in a rush or inadvertently taken the wrong bag so have no ID, cards or cash. cry me a river right? A few years ago I was approached by someone who looked like a bum with that same story in the Wal-Mart Unicity Parking Lot. I told them to go talk to customer service. I mean wouldn't you?

Today I'm walking down Corydon at a fairly brisk pace when I hear HONK, HONK, HONK and a woman comes rushing across the street, barely making it. She appears flustered, I smile and give her the "that was a close one look" and continue on my way quite quickly. Next I hear "excuse me, excuse me" She's wearing black pants, black shirt and carrying a black sweater - in this weather?? Looked like the middle age (not my age) grandma type

Lady - are you from Winnipeg?

Me - yes (smiling)

Lady - well, I'm obviously not (laughing). I'm from Hadishville, do you know where that is, just west of Winnipeg on the #1 toward Kenora?

Me - (in a rush) ok (shrugging shoulders, sure, she could be)

Lady - well I'm having a bit of a dilemma (starts rambling)

Me - (interrupting) ok, so what's your dilemma?

Lady - I'm on my way to the hospital, I've got baby stuff in the car. My nephew grabbed the wrong back pack today, I don't have mine. I tried calling there I don't even know if my niece got the message (can you hear the alarm bells in my head?) I just.

Me - you know what? I've heard this story before. I've become very cynical - I'm sorry, but I can't help you

Lady - (face drops like a rock, sadness pours out of her) - oh, I'm sorry - I was just going to ask you for a few quarters

Me - (war of the worlds now going on in my brain as I study her for a moment) ok, a few quarters I can do

Lady - no, no

Me - ya, I can do a few quarters, good luck

Lady - thank you. I'm sorry your so cynical have a good day

I proceed down the street, not even two steps - I turn around and she is GONE, I mean nowhere to be seen - GONE

So have I made the right move, sent a scam artist packing? Or turned away a fellow human in need??? Maybe an angel in disguise? The girls at work seem to think I got taken for a long ride and just encountered the latest in a long line of people who've taken the scam out of the parking lot and into the neighbourhood. What else could I have done? See if she kept digging a hole, asked for a specific amount, that she would mail me a cheque? I almost offered up my cell phone for her to make a call, but didn't want it to get stolen.

On another note - is hitch hiking illegal in Manitoba? I saw an RCMP officer picking up a hitch hiker on the trans-Canada between Winnipeg & Headingley - just curious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

In the end, a few quarters will not break the bank. Feel good that whatever her needs were, you helped out.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Huma said...

I figure you likely did nix a con early on. To pad that with a buck or two to give someone a chance to make a phone call should suffice.
Anyone having problems that lead them to approach ppl on the street for money, likely have other resources... I'm thinking of hospital chaplains, even nursing staff could probably help someone out with simple phone call - or I could be wrong.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figure an angel in disguise wouldn't be asking you for anything, more likely they might offer you something wonderful...

All the same, sometimes a REALLY GOOD story is worth a buck or two.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home