Sunday, July 06, 2008

the last few days...

Things that make you pause...

Friday morning - get a call from JoJo where Mandy was babysitting, Mandy isn't doing so good - sick. It seems a little urgent so I whip over there. Anticipatory disorder in full swing, but contained in the dark spaces of my brain... It seems she was having some "female issues" nuff said about that. However, she very nearly passed out from pain. SO glad JoJo was there to guide her through it. As I waited for her to be well enough (drugs are great) to go home she snuggled with me, the kind of snuggling that makes you wish you were big enough to carry your 15 year old to her room and tuck her in bed. I honestly think the last time she needed me that badly (enough to show it) was at least 3 years ago. Wow... tonight - when I dropped her off at camp for counsellor training - the exact opposite, I said be good, have fun and she was gone. No looking back...

Yesterday I drove Samantha and cousin Chantal to Virden to meet dh's sister - the 2 girls are spending the week together. Sister lives in Regina... when they pull up - who is driving? Travis - dh's nephew - another WOW (that particular wow has Mandy cursing Manitoba driving rules, being SK teens can get their learners at 15!). The interesting thing about this drive was that Grandma T offered up Grandpa T to go with us - since I would be driving home alone, she thought it was a great idea. I must admit I was a little leery. Grandpa T does not hear that well at the best of times and one of his hearing aides is in the shop. But, no matter. If he is up for the ride, I am glad to have him. I won't say it was non-stop fun, but it was a very nice ride to and from. The man is almost 94 years old, still gets a kick out of a good joke and had me laughing a few times. He was a little stiff when we pulled into Virden, but what a trooper. Cup of coffee and a bowl of soup at Subway had him ready and raring to go for the trip home. He gets a little tired of the Seniors complex he and Grandma live at so this was right up his alley. I lost track of how many trains we saw, but I bet he could tell you. His memory is an open book and as he shared little tid-bits from his past I found myself appreciating him more than ever. What a kind, generous soul. At 94 he thought he would be one of the old ones in the home. Not so, just the other day he said they had a party for one lady who was turning 102. He figured for sure she was in her 80's...

So now DH and I are on our own for the week. Good thing I still have dishes to do and dh is working on the deck... what else could keep us busy??? There's always grass to cut LOL.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I could always send my two rug rats over if you and T get bored. LOL
Never a dull moment in our neck of the woods.
All the reminders you have that as kids get older, they still need to snuggle and reach out to their parents.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home