Monday, May 19, 2008

Always learning something new, or re-learning...

Went to a sport nutrition seminar on Friday night (oh ya! what could be more fun on Friday night of the FIRST LONG WEEKEND OF THE YEAR!!!!!) Ok, so we're not terribly exciting, but I gotta say I enjoyed it. Some of it was old news, eat healthy, live long and prosper. But this guy was really into the benefits of eating protein at every meal. His view - fat is not your enemy, sugar is (as well as overall caloric intake). He said eggs have a bad rap, well sure, when you eat eggs with hash browns, toast, juice and bacon something has gotta give. Eat eggs by themselves and you're ok... I've heard it before - the protein thing - not Atkins though, protein with good carbs... The whole good carb bad carb thing used to kind of confuse me. I get it now. Vegetables and some fruits = good carbs. the rest - caution carbs (his words) Still wanted us to enjoy what we love. Just always have a good source of protein with. Hmmmm so I love protein, but I'm not cooking a steak for breakfast. Well folks, we bought a big honkin jug of protein powder. It actually tastes good in the fruit smoothies I'm already eating everyday, so just one more way to give my body what it needs.

Oh - and he had a scale with him, tested body fat percentage based on age, sex, height. So I had one of the lowest percentages for the women in the room (there were only 4 of us) but wow - was I surprised. He kind of acted surprised too... guess all the fruits and vegetables do pay off. Now if only the low percentage could translate into "harder, better, faster stronger" that, that that won't kill us - can only make us stronger...

I would have loved to have talked to him one on one. I may call his number yet. It would be interesting to get his take on the whole "food associated, exercise induced, anaphylaxis". Though I am still throwing the idea around of seeing JoJo's naturepoath instead - he has a few more letters behind his name than this guy... we'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

My naturopath would agree on the protein issue. It's the one consistent thing I've heard from various dr's and diets.
Protein is good.
Great for you for having the lowest body fat. HA! I love that!!!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home