Friday, May 09, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

On Wednesday night I'm standing in line at Extra Foods, I have one thing to buy. Bag of buns. Lady in front of me lets call her "kind lady" has quite a few. Lady in front of her is just trying to ring through, pack up and get out. Lets call her "rushed lady". Lady in front of her... is standing at the end of the aisle already done holding her bags - lets call her "bag lady"

Rushed to Bag - I haven't seen you in so long this is great! Oh and I hear you had another baby! Congratulations!
Bag Lady - ya, I hate him
(me and Kind lady immediately look over to see if that was some kind of joke, bag lady - is not laughing)
Rushed - (uncomfortably) giggles, says yes, it must be a lot of work with 2
Kind Lady to me - I can't believe she said that!
Me - I'm kind of stunned, I hope it was a joke
we go back to eavesdropping
Rushed - so much work, crying, angry, feeding, not sleeping I can't stand it
Meanwhile Kind lady is set to pay up now. She's so flustered she counts out money wrong and has to give an excuse about not feeling well. Her stuff is on the other side of the conveyor belt. Rushed is still standing there trying to bag her groceries, enter Bag lady's phone number in her phone and just get the heck out of there. Bag lady just stands there like a total dork, whining about said kids and blocking the aisle. Kind lady goes round the other side and continues to bag her stuff. I take my buns, pay and start to leave. I lean over to kind lady

Me - I hope you feel better soon
Kind lady - oh, thank you and (BIG smile on her face) HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU
Me - (BIG smile on my face) Happy Mother's Day to you too!
Rushed lady - stunned silence
Bag lady - dirty look on sullen face


Happy Mother's Day...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Wow. That's sad. I'm speechless.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home