Tuesday, November 28, 2006

14 year olds

Sabrina is 14 now. Wow. Where did all the confidence come from? She gets all this confidence and suddenly a new girl has emerged. I remember being 14. Starting a new school, spreading my wings, thinking I knew it all. Having full confidence in the fact that the world was mine to explore. I would meet new friends - especially boys.

14 years and some months ago I was pregnant with Sabrina. Another 14 year old I knew at the time had a very concerned father. Somehow - this father thought just because his daughter turned 14 she would begin having sex and most likely get pregant. In steps Blondie - I was tasked with speaking with his daughter, get in her head, make sure all was good. I tried telling him, look not everyone who has sex gets pregnant - his response "you had sex, look what happened to you!" Alright!! Let me tell you - it was a 2 hour conversation, where somehow in the last 5 minutes I managed to spit out some questions about whether or not her friends were having sex, and try and figure out if she was... I'm not sure who was more threatened by this line of questioning LOL.

Did I mention Sabrina has a boyfriend?? **sigh** Why do people grow up so fast?? Apparently he makes her laugh, and he got her a book for her birthday - good signs... If there is anything I wish for my girls it is that they make smart choices with the boys they date and end up with. The ones that make you laugh, feel good about yourself, and complement your sense of self. And chemistry, that little spark that makes your heart jump. That person that gives your heart a squeeze when you see them. Not just to be comfortable with someone, but someone who challenges you on every level. Whoa - listen to me. I wish for them what I have. That thing I forget about in the everyday rush of life - the fact that dh loves me, and I love dh. Spark, excitement, CHEMISTRY. Remember the first time you kissed that special someone???? FIREWORKS. I'm not wishing fireworks on Sabrina just yet, maybe just a small flicker... Did I mention Sabrina has a boyfriend??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have knocked me over the head with a brick when you told me. 14 is so young, and yet the beginning of such a trial of learning... heartbreak and love. *sigh*

8:42 AM  
Blogger Blondie said...

I knew you would be shocked!! She didn't tell me for a whole week!! Her friends bugged her to tell me - yay for them!!

just imagine the post where I have to say "they broke up" I cannot protect her from that, nor should I expect to.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.......14?? She should be kept inside until she is 21!!

My lord I don'rt think I am going to do well when my grand daughter starts dating some day!

You and hubby have done a super job of raising her so now she will spread her wings and fly where she may. But you have given her the best start any parent can provide.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home