Friday, June 09, 2006

Grade 8 Farewell

For a few weeks now E and I have been talking about Grade 8 Farewell. There is an awards breakfast this morning, lunch later at a local place and then a dance in the afternoon for just the grade 8s. I guess its more like I’ve been asking questions or making suggestions and she’ll answer most questions with Uh huh, or um, hum… I get that a lot now, the same answer to 6 different questions.

So this morning she got dressed in her white peasant skirt, flip flops and halter top with a tank underneath. A combination I never would have tried, but she looked beautiful. She actually came to me with help for her hair (NEVER lets me touch it any more) and wanted to steal some of my makeup – which by the way, decided she wants to keep. Ok, I’ll just buy more I guess?? I took a couple of pictures of the finished product. She looks great.

What I was really unprepared for was the onslaught of emotions as we pulled up to the local high school where the breakfast was being held (where hubby graduated from). I wanted to say a few things before I dropped her off, but not to early for her to think about and think I was being corny. But then suddenly we were there. I told her in a rush just how beautiful she was, that I was proud of her, to stand tall and that I love her. I was rewarded with a brilliant full smile and a flash of joy in her eyes. Then she was gone.

I’m still kind of choked up. No this is not grade 12 grad, but a milestone none the less. Her last hurrah at this school, with these friends. Next year onto a new school and to make new friends. I have every confidence she will do well. I am however a little misty at moving on to the next chapter. Little girl no more, but always my baby.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

AWw, you got me all choked now too. You've raised a mature and strong young woman. Be proud Momma. This is your moment too.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home