Wednesday, October 13, 2010

And just like that. Party Over...

As Tim and I sat on the tarmac waiting to leave Chicago airport I realized how I desperately need to win the lottery. Don't get me wrong I don't mind working. I actually quite like my job. It's just really fun to do things you don't usually do, see places and just get away from it all. Even for a long weekend.

We had such a good time this weekend. I really don't know why Tim wanted to spoil it with such a long run on Sunday. but whatever. JUST KIDDING!! He did great and WOW what an amazing sport it is to be a spectator along with the other 1million people lining the streets to cheer on 40thousand runners!!! What an utter madhouse! Its not like any event I've every been to before. As a spectator you can't get anywhere near the start or finish line. The only option is to hop a train and go to various stops on the marathon route to cheer on your runner. And that we did. Five us were along as spectators. Four Women - and Bill. Bill - you are my hero (and Tim's running mentor no less). You should have seen the look on Bill's face when Tim showed up in the hotel lobby with a racer's bib that said "my motivation is. Bill." he was very touched. You see Bill broke his foot doing a race in August. But he earned it - it was an overtraining exercise. Nothing like a 900mile relay run from Headingley to Calgary (to raise money for Haiti) to put just a little strain on the bones in motion! Not that it has stopped him mind you. Bill on crutches is faster than most people on two good legs. Apparently he entertained the idea of doing the marathon on crutches, but thought better of it in the end!

Tim finished the race - I must admit I was a little sceptical. My little energizer bunny certainly has the ability - but the Achilles tendon strain he's been dealing with has side lined him from months of training. Sheer determination brought him across the finish line - WOW! Too bad his thighs hurt more than his tendon now. You should see him do stairs, I wonder if he'd let me video tape it? Just for fun LOL?? Poor guy could have used a wheelchair in the airport. He says the tendon actually doesn't hurt that much since he did the marathon. What?? Ya, personally I think all the swelling together with the reduced range of motion and all the pain in his thighs is masking the pain he should be feeling.

The atmosphere this weekend had me really choked up. Watching people reunite with loved ones after the race, hearing all the race chatter and just being a part of it was awesome. Ever since I started skating I've loved coming across the line. The couple of 5 or 10km runs I've done are the same. Always a great sense of accomplishment - just me against me. I was talking to one of the guys wives this weekend, repeated the old "yup, before I'm 50, I'd like to do a marathon" speach. I don't know how many times I've said it. watching Tim work up to the distance has been very educational. Its not something you just fall into. It has to be intentional. Well, yesterday, with the greatest of intentions I signed up for the Winnipeg Police Service ½ Marathon on May 1st.

Wish me luck. Tim has already asked what my goal time is? I don't know. When am I going to start training? I don't know. What I do know is this marathon is put on by members of the Winnipeg Police Service - "Cops for Cancer". A cause near to my heart. At the end of the race you are handed your medal by a cancer survivor. That is one finish line I want to cross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home