Saturday, May 29, 2010

Why is it...

Why is it that when I have a conversation with Mandy about money it always turns on me? I'm trying to gently guide her into the fact that she should be thinking about spending her own money and not always expect me/us to anti up.

Is that wrong? Is it to soon? She has more money in the bank then I do. She already thinks she's incredibly hard done because she's going to be paying for her own university. Does that make us scrooges??? I don't think so. At least I get to the point where I don't think so. Then we have an oh so brief conversation and suddenly I feel like crap again.

She asked if she could get a hair cut. I said sure... are you asking me to pay for it? Well ya... you always pay for stuff like that. She said she's not working right now. So I made her a deal. I'll pay for it and if she gets a job in the next 3 weeks, she pays me back. Is that wrong??? I am not a cruel person. I'm just trying to guide her toward independence and making her own decisions. She shouldn't have to ask me if she can get a hair cut. She's graduating high school and starting University. Don't kids doing that make their own decisions???

Right now I'm feeling so badly about this. I'd really like to talk to her some more, but she's done talking. I can imagine that now she is worrying about money. Worrying that if she spends it, she won't have it. She is a very frugal person. I told her its not like we're going to kick her out at 18, just that I want her to start thinking about stuff like this. I would like to get into her head. Against my better judgement, I just might try talking to her again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

that's a tough one. I make the kids pay me back for treats they want ... and I put the money back in their piggy bank without them knowing, but they are young.

You are a smart momma, and she's a smart girl. I don't think you're doing wrong at all. I paid for my own, but that was ages ago.
Hang in there mom.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Thanks :')

I'm trying... I did talk to her again. I told her I wasn't abandoning her or anything, just trying to guide her. As soon as she starts working again she'll be making money hand over fist. I told her this is going to be the best time of her life. The only thing she'll have to pay for is school and entertainment/clothes. how hard will that be... unless she decides to buy a car. Then she'll never have money again LOL.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home