Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I don't get it

Can I someone please tell me why I find this so offensive??? Swank Boutique on Taylor is going to be open this Sunday. Easter Sunday. They took out a huge ½ page bright pink ad in the Free Press stating they’ll be closed Good Friday but open Sunday.

I called the labour standards board and they said that some small shops get around the Easter Sunday closure because they normally operate with less than four employees. So if they plan on operating with less than four employees including the owner, on Sunday, they can get away with it. If Superstore or Safeway tried to be open they’d get shut down.

Not everybody celebrates Easter. I get that. So maybe the owners of this place are a religion besides Christian, or not a religion at all – get that too. Canada is a melting pot and I wouldn’t have it any other way. So based on that I’m assuming the owners are not any type of Christian, fine. They want to be open, fine. But then don’t bill it as an EASTER SALE.

I have two choices. I can do my venting here and drop it. Or, I can call the store, ask how many employees are working normally, and how many they’re going to have on Sunday. If the numbers don’t add up – then guess what - I can make a formal complaint to our fine City of Winnipeg Police force.

I have every respect or tolerance, whatever you want to call it, for differences in race/religion/sexual orientation/social standing etc. But I am very confused by people who (I'm assuming) have no connection to a holiday, but feel they have every right capitalize on it.

UGH

I'm fond of telling people to pick their battles. Is this one worth it? I'd boycott the store, but I've never been in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home