Thursday, March 02, 2006

Going for the laugh

When do you cross the line? Apparently I did last night - whose expense?? My youngest... Does that make me a bully?

We were running late for jr. choir, she came downstairs wearing a skort (a mini skirt with shorts for any men who don't know what I'm talking about), white tights and black boots up to her knees - an intersting look for the middle of winter, but I pick my fights - whatever. No time to change...

So after choir (i'd already forgotten what she was wearing) she comes out and all the mom's I'm with do a double take - so I said "its a skort!" AHHH comes the response of understanding and one comment about her jacket almost being longer then the skort. Y says "Hey, I didn't wear it to school!!" (so far we're still ok)

and then I pipe up - "yeah, she wore the one that falls off to school". Appreciative laughter from the moms, I think I am oh so funny, until I hear "MOM!" and look down to see the hurt all over her face.

I fall all over myself in an attempt to apologize. And cut off all the mom's conversations by acknowledging how my daughter did not appreciate that comment and I'm sorry. Y accepted, but I pretty much wrecked her night. I was going to do the mom thing and tell her not to be so sensitive, but rather just kept my mouth shut and let her stew in peace.

By the time I tucked her in, it was all good. Close call though, I wouldn't want her to think I was a bully, cause that is exactly how I felt.

E and I enjoy a health banter of constant shots at each other (when the time is right). I'm sure that Y and I will enjoy the same - when the time is right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Eeeek. I can see her face now. She's just a sensitive soul. I love her for that...yet I try to be careful too.
You're a great mom, remember that.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home