Monday, May 23, 2011

time

I guess it was inevitable. I have reached that age. You know the one. The one where you only see certain people at certain times. You might get together with them intentionally once or twice a year. Other than that you see them at funerals. Wow, I didn't think this time would come till I retired or something silly like that. Then I wouldn't have to take off time from work anyway. I'm not sure what it is, but I usually feel incredibly guilty taking time off work for a funeral. Unless it is someone very close to me, then of course rational thought is not part of the process.

I have a funeral on Wednesday for my friends mom. I grew up with her, I spent lots of time at her house and have known her mom since I was probably five years old. There's no way I should feel guilty, but I do. The last time I went to a funeral my boss said "boy you have a lot of funerals". Not unkindly, but there it was. I don't think I know an extraordinary amount of people, but I think having a church family increases the number exponentially. I support the people I love. Sometimes I guess the relationship might not be with the deceased, but the living.

Years ago when I was around 21/22 an elder in our church died. I was going to the funeral. I worked with a man from my church at the time and he asked me if I would be going to the cemetery - I fumbled for words and said I didn't think I had time... I was new to my job, and a little worried about taking it off, he shook his head and asked what the world was coming to when we didn't have time for funerals. That man died recently, I didn't go to his funeral, I'd already been to one the week before - I felt guilty. What is the world coming to?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Schyler Rae said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Don't feel bad about taking time off. I cant believe anyone would make such a light comment about death, a very heavy subject, like your boss. That's horrible. Stay strong!

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home