Tuesday, January 11, 2011

this and that

I mentioned in an earlier post that I signed up for Police 1/2 Marathon on May 1st. I have been running for a long time. But this year watching Tim run his various marathons (especially Chicago) really inspired me. The countless people who make a marathon their goal is amazing to me. Even more amazing is watching 35,000 runners go by knowing that its such a small percentage of the population. Anyway, I have always run alone. I didn't think I ran well with others. It was kind of a confidence thing. As soon as I ran with another person I started judging myself compared to them. I'm not sure why. I mean I skate with a wonderful group of people and have no problem coming in last, though the last few years I've started to hold my own. Nice.

Last week on an impulse I joined the City Park Runners running clinic for the half. I am LOVING it. The group I find myself running with is awesome. So much fun, actually talking with them, getting to know them and having a common goal. I still feel my confidence is going to need some work. I look at the schedule for the coming months and I'm terrified that I won't be able to do it. But - if I follow the program and do the work, there's no reason I shouldn't cross the line. I'm praying for an injury free season and for this freaking cold snap to be BRIEF. Saturday was my first run in -30. Just a little chilly!! I've bought a lot of running gear - I didn't realize this was going to be so expensive! But - again... I'm loving it. Funny part was today I was tasked with doing a 5km easy run. If I reached 4km on my treadmill I'd be surprised. Motivation on a Sunday night is a little lacking. But at least I was on... the weather was really not conducive to going outside tonight.

Hey - did something new on Friday!! With Tim!! (get your mind out of the gutter). We SKYPED for the very first time. What a hoot! We spent over an hour online with B&J. What a blast, once you get over the feeling of weirdness it was pretty cool. We did a brief "face-time" chat with them on Christmas on Tim's phone. It was wonderful and awful at the same time. Seeing someone face-to-face yet unable to reach out and hug them was hard. But it was so nice to just sit down on Friday, chat, laugh and take a walk around their house as they took the laptop and showed us all the reno's they've done. Who would have thought it possible... (boy I sound old).

We just did our performance reviews at work. Ugh, i hate them. Basically the same form for the last 10 years. I don't know what to say anymore. I may have plagiarized myself from previous versions. Its so lame. I just truly have no motivation to say the same things in a new way. I'll have to try again next year... I vow next year not to even read previous versions so that I can try and be original. There. I've put it in writing. Hold me to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home