Friday, October 06, 2006

oh SO GOOD

Ok, I tried a new recipe. SPICED RUM CAKE - you have got to try this recipe. I mean it pretty much yells out Thanksgiving desert!! Its not quite from scratch cause you need a package spice cake, but after that its all about the ingredients. Have you ever tried finding pumkin spice in a grocery store? Have you tried finding "Spice Cake" at supervalu? Ok, so Safeway had the cake and I had to go to the local bulk spice store (scoop) to get the pumkin spice - then I was ready.

Last night I baked the cake - and really who needs to bake it. The batter was, how do you say.... GREAT - I mean I should know, I had to test it afterall. I did have a moment of panic when I tried to get it out of the flute pan after baking and left 1/4 in the pan - oops. Needed a little more grease & flour I guess. Tonight I made the glaze (double that recipe big time!!). The glaze is to die for. I mean you don't really need the cake with the glaze, I can think of lots of options - dip fruit, marshmellows, chocolate - anything you have handy - all else fails take a spoon and just eat it straight from the bowl - oh yeah!!

So I says to DH when I'm serving it - there's more sauce if you want. What does he say when he's done? "pretty good, could have used more sauce though" WHATEVER There's that paying attention speech...

So here is the recipe - DO TRY IT and let me know what you think! Next time I make it Tabitha suggested making it in cupcake form (sounds like muffin to me - must be breakfast). I'd also add a little more of the pumkin spice - give it that KICK.

Ingredients
1 package 2-layer-size spice cake mix
1 cup milk
1/3 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup dairy sour cream
1/4 cup rum
4 eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 recipe Rum Glaze (see recipe below)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, milk, cooking oil, sour cream, rum, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Pour batter into prepared pan.
2. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Spoon Rum Glaze over cake. Makes 12 servings.
Rum Glaze: In a small bowl combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon melted butter, and 1 tablespoon rum. Stir in additional water (1 to 2 teaspoons), one teaspoon at a time, until glaze is a thin consistency.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Well, if I liked Pumpkin I imagine this would be very tasty. :)
You're really becoming a regular Martha.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home